Blimey Con 2018

Blimey Con 2018

Home Forums The NOT-Forum Blimey Con 2018

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Poulet Frit
    Participant

So next year, I will be going to Blimey Con (unless something terrible happens…which I have nothing terrible on my calendar, so I think we’ll be good)
    I was wondering if any of yall are gonna try to go.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Nope.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Aww 🙁

Awkward Potato

Uhh…probably not. But I really wish I could!

Josiah the Carrot Stick

I don’t think my parents would be terribly excited about me traveling a long distance to stay and hang out with people I’ve never met.
    Maybe I’ll go sometime when I’m in or out of college.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

But at the moment, it’s impractical and improbable.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

My mom said ok, probably so I stop talking about how I wanna go. But I also know several people that would be in the same house as me.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

…you know housing arrangements already? That seems a bit early.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

I know who is staying in the house this time. And they stayed together last time. I also talk to two people who both want me in the same house as them, and they have the ties to get me there. So I kinda sorta know who I would be with. At least 2 or 3 for sure.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

(These people know I will not stay with complete strangers. That’s why they want me in the same house as them)

Josiah the Carrot Stick

But it’s still people you’ve never met.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

That seems harsh, I know. I’m just attempting to portray the more cautious side of things potentially from a parent’s point of view.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Yes, but I know them. There’s a difference.
    Example:
    I would be much more comfortable staying with these people than….Billy Joe. I don’t know Billy joe. Never spoke to the guy. But these people I have spoken to, video chatted with, and googled a lot. Plus, one is a girl. And that already makes me more comfortable. Though, the other one is just a great friend of mine.
    I’d be much more comfortable staying with…Pun Diddley than Billy Joe.

Maybe it’s sideways thinking.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

*shrugs*
    Is there a reason you aren’t saying their names? I know who you’re talking about.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

My parents are cautious and so am I. My sister would more than likely be going with me, unless I find a local travel buddy that I trust.

My parents know who some of these people are and I tell them everything. I am also an adult, would pay my own way, and more than likely carry pepper spray.

I’m not trying to dismiss your cautiousness, as it is good to not meet strangers from the Internet. But I have thought about this since March/April. And have been talking to my parents about this since that timeframe.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Chris and Sarah. No reason I’m not saying them…

Josiah the Carrot Stick

I’m not saying you’re not being cautious. I’m mostly attempting to justify my not going and doing so really really badly. And also criticizing minor inconsistencies, which is pretty pointless.

Okeydoke.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

At this point, I’m really not doing anything useful except establishing my role as the Grump Old Man of the Not-forum. Which isn’t all that useful. So whatever. And sorry.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

I completely understand why you cannot go. And why you are cautious about it.
    I didn’t go this year, despite wanting to really badly.

By blimeycon next year, I will have known Chris and Sarah for 1.5 years. And I would have known several other people that will be going for like 6 months (I can’t start giving on patreon until tax season starts, and my income is more steady)

I’m also a bit older than you, if I was your age, no way on earth would I be comfortable with going or be allowed to go. (Not that I know…your age, just a guess. But even last year, I was no where near mature enough to go…I’ve matured a lot this year)

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Yep. I’ll shut up now.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Don’t apologize. I completely understand and do not see you as the grumpy old man. You may be the only one with your head on straight though.

Your opinion has made me think about how it’s important for me not to go alone. To either bring my sister or another friend.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

I kind of am though. I’m not sure about that.

Well, glad to be of some use. Or something.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

You don’t need to shut up. I’ll stop typing as long and defensively

Josiah the Carrot Stick

And I’ll stop typing as critically and insensitively.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

You are not grumpy, nor are you old. And you are definitely smart so there.

You are of use. Because, what if someone who isn’t legally an adult is thinking about trying to travel alone to blimeycon. If they are on this forum, they will read this and go “dude…I could be murdered”

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Nobody thinks you’re grumpy. You probably have the most common sense when it comes to internet safety (I mean…we are all still here talking to strangers online. But you haven’t given much information to anyone. I GAVE SOMEONE MY ADDRESS!!)
    (I am now rethinking my life these past 6 months. I need…to not give anyone else my address)

Josiah the Carrot Stick

I’m overly conservative on most fronts, though.
    Dawn probably has me beaten on internet security. I’ve gotten careless lately. You would be surprised by just how much a couple people know.
    I highly doubt the person that I presume has your address is going to abuse their power.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Dawn…yeah, she’s great at being safe.
    I have trusted a few people with confirmations of city and state. I sent a picture to someone and it had my street sign in it…oops. But they will not abuse that power.

I agree, I doubt it’ll be abused. But I’m curious as to who you think it is.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Carrot, I don’t even have off forum conversations with you or mason and you both know where I work…though, it’s not that hard to find.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Several people know my state at this point, Manalive knows my town. I’m not aware of him knowing my address, though. However, he could easily show up at my church on a random Sunday morning and find me.
    I assumed it was probably Brooke.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Aux Cable