Backstory

Backstory

Home Forums The NOT-Forum Backstory

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Dawn

Why I needed to have a bone graft past Friday…has a whole lot of backstory.

When I was younger, like 10? I pulled out my bottom left canine because it wiggles and got my money from the tooth fairy. A few months passed and a pernament tooth never came in. I didn’t take much notice at the time. When we went to the dentists, and the hygienist asked if I had any questions, I realized that for the first time, I did have a question. I asked about what happened to my tooth and they said that they would check it out. I got an x-ray and the dentist just kinda stared at it and said “I’ve never seen that before.”

My two pernament canines were crossed beneath the four bottom incisors.. the four, perfectly even bottom incisors…

Two options: let them come in and deal with it then, or get them removed. We got them removed. (There’s two side stories about how they tried to trick my mother and how I was betrayed but I can tell those later)

When I was like 14 we started going to the orthodontist to get my teeth sorted out. They wanted to move all the teeth to fill the space. They did that to my sister when she had some teeth problems and now she has pernament TMJ. So my mom dug in her heels and said no way Jose, we are not making that mistake again. They grumbled but they stretched the spaces to make room for implants. Took until I turned 17. But only 2 years of braces.

I was going to get the implants in the falls, but we found out there was a four month recovery time if a bone graft was put in. Four months of not being able to play volleyball…which is a fall sport…my senior season. We ended up waiting until Thanksgiving. Boom! Implants went in without a hitch. Got a bone graft on the left side though. Couldn’t play a lot of club ball (four months is a fair bit of time). In the spring, I got healing abutments at the oral surgeon’s (opens the gum so the dentist doesn’t have to open the gum in order to put the ‘peg tooth’ into the implant)

Dawn

(I wasn’t sure how long I could write and I didn’t want to push the limit)

Anyway, healing abutments went in, survived end of year and graduation, we went on vacation, everything’s going great!

We go to the dentist, he’s pulled out the healing abutments, The Final Countdown started playing.

He puts in the left peg tooth. Torks it so it won’t move. No problem.

He puts in the right peg tooth. Starts to tork it but something slips and I feel a shock of pain. He explains that something slipped and tries again. As soon as he starts tork I feel a blossom of pain on my right side. My hands fly up in a stop motion. He stops. He asks me to explain what happened. I said that it hurt, the pain travelled down the implant. They take x rays. Everything looks fine, bone looks sturdy. He tells me to go to the oral surgeon. He tried to keep an optimistic attitude but with hindsight I think he knew deep down…something is very very wrong and may not be easily fixed.

We go to the oral surgeon. She’s going to unscrew the peg tooth by hand, put in the healing abutment again and let it rest for a while. Maybe it’ll work next time. She numbs me up, unscrews the peg tooth….

And realizes the implant is still attached.

Guys, I’m not sure if you could guess, but that’s not supposed to happen. It was supposed to be solid. Unmovable. But there it is. Attached to the peg tooth. “I’ve never seen this before.”

So we made arrangements. I was going to play volleyball for YEIRIOGEV this fall, but I don’t want this to stretch out longer than necessary. I’ll do what I did with my club team, attend practices and help workout, may attend some games, but won’t play (I can’t get hit in the face).

I thought I was going to get the bone graft and the implant this past Friday. But there wasn’t enough bone to anchor the implant.

SO that means this Thanksgiving I’m going to get surgery…again…but we won’t borrow trouble from the future!

Poulet Frit
    Participant

Holy cow!! Hopefully it can finally get sorted out this time, but I feel like some things could’ve been preventable (come on dentist dude!!!)

Dawn

The dentist dude is a family friend and a great guy 😀

Turns out the same thing happened to my uncle ( one implant took and the other came out) so maybe it runs in the family?

Masøn M.
    Participant

That’s certainly a story! That’s crazy… I hope everything will go well form here!

Poulet Frit
    Participant

That’s weird. I’m glad he’s a good guy though. Hopefully something gets worked out

Josiah the Carrot Stick

I think my brother is missing a few adult teeth.

Masøn M.
    Participant

My friend’s brother actually had 3 sets of teeth, if I’m not mistaken… He’s like a shark…

Brooke AC

Oh, wow. I’m sorry this has been such an ordeal!!

Poulet Frit
    Participant

3 sets??? Omg.
    I don’t have wisdom teeth (explains a lot) (bad, Kristen. We are supposed to stop the self depreciation). But over the course of 6 months, I grew a wisdom tooth, a third of the size of a normal tooth. It’ll have to be removed probably. Hasn’t grown any more since

Masøn M.
    Participant

Hey Brooke, don’t you mean… An oraldeal?… I’m sorry…

Brooke AC

I WAS TRYING TO THINK OF A PUN, AND NOW I AM DISAPPOINTED IN MYSELF.

THAT WAS GOOD, MASON.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Heh.

Dawn

Yo I don’t have any wisdom teeth either!

I believe Brooke meant she CAN-ine think of a good pun. (Cannae, canine, forced pun is forced don’t judge.

Poulet Frit
    Participant

YAY FOR NO WISDOM TEETH

Dawn

Does that make us unwise…?

Naaaaaaaahhhhhhh…us is soper smartz. Us gots alla brainz…

Josiah the Carrot Stick

I think I’m getting mine out sometime later this summer.

Dawn

If we didn’t have a good estimate on your age, we do now…

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Oh? You already knew I was one of three grades.

Dawn

What three grades?

Josiah the Carrot Stick

You should be able to figure it out if you read all of my posts.

Masøn M.
    Participant

I’ve basically blatantly told everyone what grade I’m in :/

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Oh, well. Are you in the elder age bracket for your grade, or the younger?

Masøn M.
    Participant

Uhhh… Somewhere in the middle… I mean, I’m older then most of my friends who are almost all in the same grade, but let’s be honest, grade gets tossed out the window when you’re homeschooled lol

Poulet Frit
    Participant

…I forgot what grade you are in, mason. I’m sorry. Maybe I’ll let you guys know when my birthday is though. Gotta think about that.

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Mason: Okeydokey. Just curious how old you were in relation to other people on here.
    Kristen: I mean you can if you want to, but I’m not sure what you would gain from it. If you just want birthday messages or something, you could give us a totally bogus date and that can be your internet birthday.

Masøn M.
    Participant

Ah, yes, fake birthday… Except the problem is I would forget it cause I don’t remember this stuff, as you can tell with the time it took me to finally memorize my TOPHAT role… Lol… And I can say that I already had my birthday this year… Multiple months ago…

Dawn

Is it in February?

Josiah the Carrot Stick

Ah, thanks Mason. That’s helpful.

Masøn M.
    Participant

Yo, Dawn, what the heck… Have I mentioned that before, or… I’m kinda scared now… XD

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Aux Cable